At the Toolbox for Education and Social Action (TESA), we create and distribute interactive resources for social and economic change. We also work closely with other organizations to build educational programs, tools, and online communities that fit their needs. We are a worker-owned cooperative, and each of our members have experience developing collaborative and engaging workshops, educational programs, and resources.
What We Do
A few highlights of the projects and resources we have created:
- We developed the board game Co-opoly: The Game of Cooperatives, a fun and interactive way for participants to learn what it’s like to be part of a co-op.
- We designed Cultivate.Coop, an online hub for sharing knowledge and resources on cooperatives and a place to practice cooperation and build educational tools for the co-op community.
- In collaboration with partners, we created curriculum for cooperative academies that teach participants how to start and run their own co-ops.
- We have also worked with organizations focused on subjects ranging from immigrant rights and social movements to adult education.
- And so much more—check out our online store to see the products we have created, and visit our services page to learn about the clients we’ve worked with.
At the Toolbox for Education and Social Action (TESA), we create imaginative and experiential resources that transform the way people think, learn, teach, work, and act. These resources address social change, economic justice, and progressive education through critical thinking and user participation.
We believe in making all aspects of our lives more democratic. As educators, we have seen that this fundamental social change begins with how we learn, so the resources and tools we develop are participatory in nature. This means that no matter what issues they address, they are rooted in pedagogical principles that work with the skills, knowledge, and creativity of the people using them. TESA strives to ensure its resources focus on real-world applications that are relevant to to the interests and needs of the learners, and can help them better shape their communities.
Statement on Ethical Production
At TESA, we are fully committed to ethical production. Whenever possible, we use materials that are sweatshop-free, union- or cooperative-made, and environmentally sustainable. It’s not always easy or feasible, given our economic and social environment, but we practice principled operations, purchases, and processes to the best of our ability. In this way, we put our social justice principles into action and directly participate in the shaping of a new economy that utilizes solidarity and cooperation, not exploitation.